Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Spring is right around the corner and as a pet owners, we have to be educated on plants that could potentially harm our pets. I don’t know about your dog or cat – but around here, plants (in the yard or home) are often missing leaves or flower petals.


Lilies – while not every variety of the Lily is toxic to your pet, the most dangerous are the Asiatic, Day, Easter, Japanese Show, and Tiger lilies.

Daffodils – these little flowers contain lycorine which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, pain, and cardiac issues.

Tulips – the most toxic part of this flower is the bulb – best to keep them out of your yard!

Poinsettia – this popular holiday plant is fairly well known also for its toxicity to pets.

Carnation – this popular little flower (often seen in restaurants and bouquets) is not one to keep around your pet.

Sago Palm – you may not see too many in Colorado and Wyoming, but every part of this plant is very harmful to our pets.

Ivy – another popular plant that is not good if your pet ingests – breathing difficulties, rashes, and more serious symptoms are common with this plant.

Heartleaf Philodendron – another popular plant for its ease of care that is dangerous to your pet if ingested – can result in swelling, burning of the mouth along with digestive issues and even seizures.

Aloe – while this plant has proved to be a great skin soother, keep it away from Fido as it is known to irritate their digestive system.

Asparagus Fern – vomiting and diarrhea may occur if ingested, plus this plant can cause skin irritation if your dog is exposed to it repeatedly.

Jade (rubber plant) – Although this plant may be one that is easy to take care of, it can cause vomiting and a slowed heart rate in your pet if ingested.

For a complete list of dangerous plants for your pet, please call or visit the Pet Poison Helpline.

Contact Us for Your Dog Grooming Needs