Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

With the holidays behind us and Valentine’s Day approaching, it is quite common to be consuming more sweets than usual. Although it’s nice to enjoy something sweet, it is important to keep that treat away from your pup to avoid any health issues. That’s why we have come up with a list of foods to NEVER feed your dog and a simple, no-cook recipe for an alternative treat that will keep your dog treat alternative that will keep your dog both happy and healthy!

Xylitol and other artificial sweeteners 

Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener commonly found in gums, mints, candy, diet food and drinks and even toothpaste. This and other artificial sweeteners are often put in food and drinks as sugar alternatives, so it is crucial to avoid sugary items altogether. These sweeteners can cause stomach upset, liver damage, very low blood sugar levels, vomiting, lethargy, and coordination issues. Some cases can get so bad these can result in liver failure, seizures, and death. Read the ingredient list before giving your dog anything and watch out for these sugar alternatives. 


Grapes and raisins

Grapes, both in their regular and dried-up form, are highly toxic for dogs and even just one can cause vomiting and intense lethargy. Eating these could result in kidney failure, so it is critical to keep your pup away from this fruit!




Although most owners know to stay away from chocolate, it is important to remind everyone of this as it can be very dangerous for your dog if consumed. Chocolate contains both caffeine and theobromine, which are toxic stimulants that can cause an array of issues like muscle tremors, seizures, heart rate abnormalities, high blood pressure and death. All chocolate can be threatening, but darker and unsweetened chocolate is the most dangerous as it contains more of those toxic chemicals. Look out if your dog is excessively drinking, shaking, vomiting, or having diarrhea as these are signs of chocolate poisoning. 


Milk and dairy products 

Small quantities of milk and dairy products are usually fine for your pup, but larger quantities can cause digestive issues and some dogs can even be lactose intolerant. Vomiting, diarrhea and loose stool are common symptoms of lactose intolerance and signs to not feed your dog any dairy products. It may be fine to give your dog a few licks of your ice cream or a piece of cheese, but be aware of their behavior afterward to learn if your pup can tolerate these or not.  




Drinks such as coffee, tea and energy drinks should highly be avoided as they contain the toxic stimulant, caffeine. Caffeine causes similar symptoms to occur when chocolate is ingested, so it is extremely risky and even fatal for your dog if consumed. These symptoms include increased heart rate and blood pressure, seizures, panting, and excessive thirst and urination. Make sure to keep your morning cup of caffeine in sight and out of reach.




Homemade Healthy Dog Treat

Although there are many sweets that your dog should stay away from, your pup still deserves a sweet treat that is safe and healthy for them! Try out these easy, no-bake dog bites packed with vitamins and delicious goodies your dog will love! 

In a bowl, mix ½ cup of pumpkin puree, ½ cup applesauce, ¼ cup peanut butter, and ¼ cup plain yogurt until thoroughly combined. Stir in 2 ½ cups of oats and a strip of bacon if desired. Form mixture into bite-sized balls and store in the fridge or freezer.

For more details and other recipes, check out this website!  



Your dog deserves all the treats, but make sure to keep toxic sweets out of reach and secure your trash cans to avoid any problems. Don’t hesitate to call your vet or an animal emergency number if you believe your pet may have ingested something bad!



Contact Us for Your Dog Grooming Needs